Saturday, August 15, 2015

Junior Journey Reflections

Junior Journey Reflections

This evening as we wrapped up our last day in India, we spent time reminiscing about all of our experiences and how it impacted each of us. The girls had such lovely things to say that we asked them to write a short paragraph sharing their thoughts with you all. Thank you so much for sharing your wonderful daughters with us! We are boarding the flight to Dulles in just a few moments and we look forward to seeing you all soon!


Inshira--Going into this trip I was excited to learn new things, but I had no idea that my expectations barely scratched the surface of what the trip had in store. The sights we visited were incredible, but the people are what changed me for the better. In Delhi, we met children who live and attend school in a slum, yet they are some of the brightest and happiest people I've ever met. Spending time with them really drove home the point of how the privileges so many of us enjoy are simply the cards we're dealt in this world and we should be conscious never to take our living conditions or education for granted. In Dharmasala, we met a man from SFT (Students for Free Tibet) as well as a Tibetan freedom fighter. The two of them put my priorities in perspective and reminded me how badly I want to use the education I'm getting and the privilege I have for the better. My personal growth on this trip, as well as our growth as a group, was most noteworthy when we met Tai Sutupa Rampuci. One thing he said that stood out was that "to be happy, all you have to do is be happy". That simple statement is something I'll carry with me for a long time. The experience wouldn't have been complete without my great group of Holton sisters and trip leaders. I can't imagine the past two weeks with anyone else. Through any discomfort, disagreement or unfamiliarity we supported one another and brought out the best in each other. I'm so grateful to have been able to come to India. This trip has altered my perspective of the world and made me both feel ready to take on my last year at Holton and feel excited for everything that comes next. 


Claire M.-- I had no idea what to expect when I signed up for this trip and India has surprised me and taught me so many things that I will never forget. Our group was amazing and made so many memories over these two weeks. We all bonded so much especially with our awesome tour guide, Prachur. I learned so much about myself and the other girls. I appreciated visiting the various schools and comparing and contrasting them. My favorite school by far was the NGO school because the kids were so excited to be in school and so grateful for everything they had.  Their happiness was so genuine and inspiring. I was so fortunate to have been able to have this experience and will always be grateful to our trip leaders and everyone who worked so hard to make this trip unforgettable.  

Madison-- When we left America more than two weeks ago I would never have expected to feel the way I do about leaving India. I feel as if I have gone through some kind of transformation and I now have a new outlook on life and a more open and understanding mind and soul. When we first arrived in Delhi, I was immediately inundated with anxiety and fear to be in a new country on the other side of the world and experience so many new things on a personal level as well as in a group. For the first part of the trip I let my anxiety get the best of me and take over my thought process and feelings towards India. Looking back on the first week of the trip I feel as if I wasted my time worrying about the little things and did not fully get to experience India and my journey through Delhi. As soon as we got up north and the trip was almost half way over, something clicked inside and I had a transformation. I realized I was in such an amazing and culturally diverse country and that I will never have these experiences with the same people ever again. I decided to change my attitude, turn my negatives into positives, and just let go and live in the moment so that I could enjoy this journey to the fullest potential. That change and transformation was the best thing I could ever have done for myself and for the group dynamic. I began to love India and started bonding with my eight other sisters as the days flew by. This trip gave me the opportunity to learn about myself and how I react to new situations and environments. Moving forward in my life I will always have this incredible journey to look back on as I remember the bonds and memories I have shared with our group. 


Caroline--I don't even know where to begin...When I first signed up for the india trip, I didn't realize I would come out on the other side with a new view of myself and my peers. I found out that India was just a way for me to step out of my comfort zone and experience a new culture according to what our Global Perspectives teachers taught us - to view the world through a window and not a mirror. I don't want to go back to my old habits once I arrive back home; I want to carry the advice of "Be kind and be happy" with me always. I saw this simple happiness when we visited the NGO school in the village in Delhi. They didn't have much in ways of material objects, but they were genuinely happy. While visiting the monks at Sherabling Monastery, I also learned that living a simple life can be enough. We don't need things to be happy. I hope to remember this and share this with my loved ones when I get home.

Emily--I signed up to visit India because it sounded cool to travel across the world, but the experience was so much more than "cool". When we first arrived I was terrified and honestly a little home sick, but as soon as we began touring and learning about the culture I could imagine staying here forever. From the walks through the streets of Delhi, to the Golden Temple in Amritsar, to the foothills of the Himalayas - I was awestruck by the beauty of India. I have visited developing countries before, but some of the poorer areas truly surprised me. I never expected to see so much poverty. This trip was such a lesson in "mind over matter." I was nervous about the heat, fatigue, and new food - but thinking positively allowed me to embrace the uncomfortable. I am usually such a complainer, but I didn't want that to overshadow this journey. I will take this lesson with me. Now I know that being positive in times of discomfort will serve me well in my future adventures. I want to thank Holton for giving me this experience to discover more about myself and the world!


Mimi- This whole India trip has been completely and utterly ineffable, and I am so grateful to have been able to experience it with amazing friends, teachers, and tour guides. I can honestly say that this trip has changed my entire outlook on life and motivated me to pursue a career in international service. Throughout our Indian adventure, I have learned valuable life lessons on topics that range from compassion to women empowerment to social justice and education. One of my most memorable moments was when our group traveled to a school in a slum to interact with and read to young children. Their love for school and passion for others, despite their many struggles, inspired our entire group. This trip has now confirmed my lifelong dream of traveling the world as a medical professional to aid impoverished communities. 

Tyler--When I first signed up to go to India, I was not expecting to experience the things I did over these past two weeks. I originally just wanted to learn more about another culture and I didn't think I would see myself visiting India in my life. But now I'm definitely planning to make another trip here. There were some sights, such as when we were traveling through the mountains, that I can't even explain because they were so breathtaking. If there was one thing I could take away from this trip, it would be to appreciate everything I have. Not just material objects, but family and friends as well because people often forget how important loved ones are. I appreciate the fact that we were able to visit different parts of India because there was such a sharp contrast in Delhi's and Dharmsala's atmosphere and neither really describe India as a whole. In order to get the gist of what the country is like, it's important to visit the different states because even within the states culture is different. I'm so glad that I had the opportunity to visit India and I really hope I have the chance to later visit India again. 


Alexis--When I first signed up for the India trip I heard about people's life changing experiences. I didn't think the same would happened to me. After spending two long yet wonderful weeks here, I proved myself wrong. I feel that I have grown both spirituaily and as a person. I will never forget my experiences on this trip and will apply what I have learned about ,yield and others in the future.
Alexis

Claire--On this trip to India I have learned a lot about India and about myself. Visiting the NGO pushed me to develop my interest in global development work and educational reform. Visiting Norbulingka and Sherabling Monastery inspired me to adopt compassion in all aspects of my life. Visiting Students For Tibet and talking to Tenzin Tsunde has also inspired me to join the movement for Free Tibet. All in all, India has been an unexpectedly life changing journey. I hope that when i return to the United States I will carry my experiences in India with me and use them as inspiration and motivation for a long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment